Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Bright Idea

Faced once again with having to be creative with my workout, this time, due to weather concerns, I decided that the best course of action today would be to get my ride in EARLY. Since I had an appointment with the orthopedic surgeon at 9, I thought that riding TO the appointment would kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. Then I remembered that the route would take me cross town, during morning commute, and thought better of it. Stop and go, it would probably take me the better part of an hour, and wouldn't prove anything. I could ride one of my usual routes.....yawn..... No, what made the most sense, really, would be to put my bike IN the car, drive to the Dr.'s office early, then ride out and back, clack my way into the office, sweaty and stinky. What doctor wouldn't appreciate that?
I picked one of the east-west arteries that feed the small city of Saratoga Springs, and in the mist and light rain, I pedaled westward. The mist wasn't too bad, and I noticed, with some satisfaction, that my average speed was up. Now, I'm a numbers person, and I love gadgets that provide me with data, so I resolved to keep my average speed at this new level. Bright Idea.

I arrived back at the office with 10 minutes to spare, and breezed into the waiting room, damp and sweaty. The actual appointment was brief, the Dr. was pleased that I was biking and swimming, cautioned me to ramp up my workouts slowly, and said I didn't need to come back until I either re injured myself ( always a possibility) or I wanted to get that meniscus trimmed. Fantastic, and I nearly skipped out of the office. I'm sure they had to deodorize the room after I left, I think my shorts and shirt were capable of standing by them selves.

Down the stairs and out to the car, and that's when I felt the first twinge. By the time I got home, my knee was very stiff and sore. Bright Idea to maintain the increased average speed, eh? Apparently, recovery is going to proceed VERY slowly. Ice and ibuprofen, my old friends, here I come once again.

1 comment:

>96 said...

All I can say is that you have to listen to your body, not your head (or in this case your heart). Take a step back, or maybe even a day to rest, then keep going. The exercise will make any future surgery easier to handle.